Friday, January 11, 2008

30 minutes at the IC Department Penang

Last Monday, I paid a visit to the Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (I think that's what you call them) or rather the place to make your IC. Just a quick note, I, somehow lost my IC without knowing I lost it and only to realize that I don't have itwhen I was checking in to a flight to KL one fine day. I, at this point of time still couldn't figure out when I lost it, where I lost it and how I lost it. It's just lost (maybe it has gone to that place called here......okie...I shall not confuse you ppl further. That would be another blog to write about).

Anyway, back to the story of my trip. I went first on last Thursday (or maybe it's last last Thursday) and the system was down *crap* hence, I couldn't make my IC then. So having this phobia and everything, I went earlier this time. #026 - that's my number and the number at that point of time is #020. YAY ME!

I didn't need to wait long (and to think that I was so paranoid about being bored while waiting that I had my iPod, PSP, book ready - just so I won't be bored). I didn't really needed to use them. First counter - registration/reporting counter. The lady was really nice. Here is a short recap of how the conversation went (I translated it in English);

Nice lady: Good morning.
Me: Good morning. I lost my IC.
Nice lady: Have you lodge a police report?
Me: Yes
(handing over the police report).
(Processing in place...)
Nice lady: Since it's the first time you lost your IC, you will be fine
RM100 plus RM10 processing fee.
Me:
*thinking - crap* Here (handing her the money)
Nice lady: How old are you?
Me:
*thinking - y the heck would you want to know?* I'm 26 this
year.
Nice lady: And this is your first time losing your IC?
Me: Yes
Nice lady: You are considered good for losing your IC the first time
only at the age of 26.
Me:
*is she serious?* Hahaha...serious?
Nice lady: Yes. Kids these days are so irresponsible. At age 15, and
they have lost 3 ICs. Bad.
Me: =)
Nice lady: Okie, pls proceed to counter 1 for photo-taking session.
Have a nice day!
Me: Thanks! =)

Apparently, if you lose your IC for more than 3 times, it's not just about giving fines but it's about going through a serious interview and everything and you might not have your IC for 3 months. Scary huh...

Anyway, at the photo booth, an old uncle came by the booth and started complaining. Apparently, his picture didn't turn out to look like him (becoz of his white hair...it blends so nicely with the white background, and hence...u have an uncle losing the top part of his head) and he had problems when he wanted to go make his pasport. He was clearly pissed coz he can't go for his holidays. So, as they were sorting out his problem, I was just sitting there. The uncle then came and talk to me, telling me how screwed their cameras are, how troublesome it is, etc. Uncle was clearly pissed. =)

After taking photos, everything was done. Surprised that it all got done in 30mins, I was happy and contented as I left the building. So, my point is - it's not all that bad paying a visit to the IC department. ^_^

2 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Justin said...

hey, loosing your IC for the 1st time didn't turn out to be so bad after all huh.... hahahaha (well... except for the RM110 you had to pay)especially with the all the folks you met at the registration office. :) so you got your new IC already?

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe.. i lost my first ic at age 17 and second time at age 19. after tat i haven't lose my ic yet. but i remember i didn't pay so much for the lost ic. maybe now mykad is more expensive. good luck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home