Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Professions

Today, I am going to discuss about professions. What are the definition of a profession? Maybe the question should be what would be the "appropriate" profession? Doctor? Lawyer? Accountant? Engineer?

These are the only 4 professions that literally "exist" in the minds of the society in Malaysia. Shocking...but true. I read this once in a paper...the comments on this. I find it very very true. You see...all parents hope and wish that their kids would grow up to be "successful". Now, does being successful always relates to being a doctor? or a lawyer? Let me rephrase that. If you are an engineer, is it an implication that you are successful? Not necessarily.

I feel that we should all be given the opportunity to do what we like. I don't blame the parents for wanting their kids to be one of the 4 professions (my dad was one of them...). If you look at the papers, you will find that most of the job offered are of this 4 professions. They are in demand. But, it does not mean that your kid would not succeed if he or she decides be something other than these 4 professions.

A guy - he might be good writer. Parents want him to take up engineering. He might not be able to excel as well...who knows, if he is a writer, he might be great! You can succeed in everything you do...if you believe in it, if you love and have the passion for it.

A senior guy once told me "to find FUN in your job". True...but tough. My definition of being successful in a job - If you love your job...then that's a great success. So...I am not that successful yet. But I am definitely working on that... *wink*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home