Thursday, September 06, 2007

Scenario of donating blood...

Blood donation... :) It really does feel good to be able to help others with a part of your body. Despite donating for the 9th time this blood drive, I'll still in a way get all nervous. One main reason to it is that, my veins are relatively finer (I'm thinking - it's either my veins are embedded under my flesh...or I'm FAT).


Anyway, I usually prefer to draw blood from my right hand - somehow, I believe that my veins are relatively bigger since I'm right-handed. As always, you put the small container containing all the blood bags, tubes, forms, etc on the side of the bed and you lie down. A young nurse approached me;

Young nurse: Aiyooo...ini tak nampak langsung (while staring at my arm)...macam mana ni?

Chiao Ju: (thinking to myself) God...not again...(while smiling at her)

Young nurse: (while touching my arm really really softly) Ish ish, memang tak nampak lah! You biasa derma darah tak?

Chiao Ju: Biasa. (thinking to myself) What the heck are you doing? Are you NOT TRYING to search for that vein?? ish ish ish...

FYI - she basically just sat next to me. She could have pumped up the pressure to see if you can feel my veins...instead of just staring at it. The veins aren't gonna just pop up you know. *sheesh*


So there I was, left lying alone, thinking to myself the amount of pain I might just go through this time. Why did I even choose to go donate my blood...WHYYYY! (okie...i sounded pretty melodramatic for a moment there). Anyway, the pakar came. She pumped up the pressure, started beating my arm and sprayed a whole lot of that cooling thing (I think it's some local anasthetic to numb the area). When I say a whole lot, I mean a wholeeeee lot - that's when the nervousness kicks in. The next thing I know, she stabbed the needle in to my arm (damn it hurts).

I'm not the only one who experiences this - which makes me ponder. Why aren't the nurses trained to deal with all scenarios? A lot say that it's the experience. I do believe that to a certain extend. Still...she didn't even try to search for it...hmmm...

Anyway, this round, it hurts a little more. But no bruise from that! So that's a good sign! ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home