Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Smart Tag

Smart Tag...when I first heard of this term, the first thing that runs through my mind is that it would do something smart. I mean...the name would basically describe what it's supposed to, right?

Well...I would say wrong. At least when it comes to a place where it's congested a.k.a the Penang Bridge toll. I take the bridge everyday...unless I'm traveling or I don't go to the office. Now, becoz of wanting to be fast and swift, I choose to buy Smart Tag - the smartest tag around.

For those who might not live in Malaysia, and might not be aware of this Smart Tag thingy, let me give you an insight. It is a device designed to let u scan when you need to pay the toll on a highway. It's smart (apparently) coz it scans through this infra-red thing (I think) and you don't have to wind down your window, or like stop to scan...you just slow down a little and then it "teet" and you go through. It's pretty cool...when it's working fine.

What happens when you are stuck in a jam before the Penang Bridge toll? You'll notice that you are moving slower than the guy who goes through using the Touch n Go card. At that point of time, I'll be thinking, with this Smart Tag, and me being eligible to use the Smart Tag lane, aren't I suppose to be faster? Well, no.

The failure rate at the Smart Tag lane is pretty high (I should really go collect some data and calculate its capability and then fed back to the toll guys). Maybe it's coz some ppl does not know how to use it. But still, the thing should have been designed in such away that it can tolerate a wider spec limits (okie...this is what you get when you work too long as a Quality person in a factory). In other words, it would work just about any way that person puts that Smart Tag device.

Thinking that I'm smart to get that Smart Tag thingy...now...it's like...I don't think so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home