Sunday, January 22, 2006

~Reading a book~

I recently read in the papers and felt ashamed to be a Malaysian. From this research/survey they did, they found that Malaysians only read 3 pages PER YEAR. Now...reading here excludes reading emails for work...reading papers...this survey SOLELY talks about reading a BOOK...it can be a novel, a non-fiction biography book, a motivational/inspirational book, etc. 3 pages...3 freaking sad pages...I mean, Singaporeans read more than us.

I guess there's no one to blame but the culture itself. We are not born to be taught to read...except for studying when we are younger, and reading work stuffs as we step foot into the working world. I mean the reading culture is not embedded into our SOULS...

Reading is good! I love to read. Some ppl might find it boring, but seriously, try reading something really really interesting...it feels really good. :) Well, here are some of the books that I think is great to read. It's not difficult books to read (coz I don't think I can survive these kind of books...) and it's really inspirational - at least some of them are. The order is random and has no meaning...Just thought you should know...hehehe

1. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown - Now, this is one book that you cannot miss. Thriller novel...It's great...It keeps you going...and you cannot put the book down! :) Great one to read...
2. Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown - This is wonderful as well. Like Angels and Demons, it's also a thriller...keeps you going! :) Brilliant...
3. The Adrian Mole Collection by Sue Townsend - I've read the first 3 of them. They are ABSOLUTELY HILLARIOUS. Love Sue Townsend. It's a diary kept by Adrian Mole...a kid who's...disturb or maybe intellectual. The stuffs he express are really funny! The last book I read was when he's 23. Gonna go the sequel to it!
4. Tuesdays with Morrie and the Five People you Meet in Heaven both by Mitch Albom - One of my ALL TIME FAVORITES. I mean, it's ABSOLUTELY wonderful. These are books that not only touches your heart but your soul as well...It lets you think and see life from a whole different prospects. BRILLIANT...
5. LOTR - Well, if you have watch the movie, I would say it's easier to read. I read them when the movie has yet to be on screen...and I would have to say it's one of the toughest book I've read as compared to books from some of the other authors. I guess it's tough coz there are a lot of characters. Like, 4 hobbits...and then Gandalf...and then Aragon. All back to back. So remembering who's who is a problem. I kept going back...to check who's who. And I kept referring to the map...to see where they are and all... :) But it's a great book to read. It's like, once you get through the first few chapters, then you are fine...
6. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner - This is no doubt an economics book...but it's BRILLIANT. An eye-opening experience book. Serious. A book that has got to be read... :)
7. Rich Dad Poor Dad - I thougth this book was alright. Very educational and easy to understand. ^_^ I guess this book would held the interest of those who are into Money...and I guess that would pretty much be everyone. Hahahaha...
8. Chicken Soup collection - Oh...Motivational book. Brilliant.
9. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks - Well, if you are up for the mushy mushy stuffs...then this book is great...

Well, I think I can't write comments on every book that I have read. There are some books that are hard to get by...like...Rules of Four. I give up...I mean it's nice at first...but the interesting part just wouldn't come! I am halfway through the book...but no suspense whatsoever. So I stop reading that book!

There are tons of books out there...and I am sure that there is bound to be this ONE BOOK that would held your interest...from the beginning till the end. So, go on. Go to the nearest book store to get something to read...coz reading is definitely a benefit! :) and it's great...the knowledge you gain from reading...priceless.

1 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Blogger --iffil-- said...

3 pages?? Hopefully that's excluding the front and back page. Anyway, great article. An eye-opener. As they say, cultural-shift begins with ourselves. So... I'm off to continue finishing the 4th page of this book....

Thks for the quick reviews. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home